Monte Carlo simulation of colloidal particles dynamics in an evaporating drop
1) Volga State University of Water Transport, Caspian Institute of Maritime and River Transport, 2 Kostina St., Astrakhan, 414014, Russia. 2) Astrakhan State University, 20A Tatishchev St., Astrakhan, 414056, Russia. 3) Landau Institute for Theoretical Physics Russian Academy of Sciences, 1-A Academician Semenov Ave., Chernogolovka, 142432, Russia.1 pp. (accepted)
The work  is devoted to particles dynamics simulation in a colloidal drop, when it dries on a substrate and the triple-phase boundary is fixed. Experimental observations  show a ring deposition on a solid substrate after full droplet desiccation. This phenomenon of macrolevel is known as coffee ring effect. There are other experiments that show a co-effect at the microlevel. We are talking about the formation of a quasicrystalline structure on the outer part of the ring and occurrence amorphous inner zone of ring . The goal of this work is to check the hypothesis of other authors that this phenomenon is explained by the competition between the characteristic times of diffusional displacement of particles and their transfer by a compensation flow . Numerical calculations using a model built on the basis of such assumptions and effects did not show the formation of a quasicrystal structure. It is probably necessary to take into account additional effects in such a system, for example, surface tension .
This work was supported by the Russian Science Foundation (project 18-71-10061).
1. Kolegov K.S. Monte Carlo simulation of colloidal particles dynamics in a drying drop //arXiv preprint arXiv:1810.10812. – 2018.
2. Deegan R. D. et al. Contact line deposits in an evaporating drop //Physical review E. – 2000. – Т. 62. – №. 1. – С. 756.
3. Marín Á. G. et al. Order-to-disorder transition in ring-shaped colloidal stains //Physical review letters. – 2011. – Т. 107. – №. 8. – С. 085502.
4. Kralchevsky P. A., Nagayama K. Capillary forces between colloidal particles //Langmuir. – 1994. – Т. 10. – №. 1. – С. 23-36.